Family Fun

Sunday, July 6, 2008

The baby delimna

Is that how you spell delimna? I don't know. It looks funny.

So. Let's see what thought my bloggers have on this subject.
Of course we have been trying to get pregnant for like 2 and a half years. We do want a baby. We want Peyton to have a sibling. We want that experience again. We want to expand our family. These are all things we both want. Then on the flip side:
Do I want to go through it all again? We just now are "moving on" so to speak, with life. Me getting a job that I enjoy and trying my best to be successful at it. We want things like a boat, go on more vacations, and just generally enjoy ourselves while we are relatively young. How hard would it be to find someone wanting to watch 2 kids vs. 1 kid? I feel guilty enough now working like I do with Peyton, will it be worse with another? I LOVE spending the time I have with Peyton. That is one reason I picked the job I did. Flexibility. Daycare is not for me, so how will I handle juggeling the time with them both and still being able to work and make money.

These are all things that make me second guess myself. Steve and I are 36 years old. God I wish we hadn't waited so long to start having kids. Biggest mistake to date. Because it is basically now or never for a 2nd one. If we were younger I wouldn't feel like it was now or never.

The reason this is a big issue in my head and in our household right now is because our last option that I am willing to try is artificial insemination (sp?) or otherwise known as IUI. This is a relatively low chance of having multiples. All they are doing is inserting sperm directly into the uterus. The only thing that has the increased chance of multiples is the fertility drug to help egg production. Which I have already taken this drug, and it only increases your chances by 10%. Which is about as high as I want to go. If we decide for sure to have another baby we are going to do this procedure here in the near future. Next couple of months. I think I question myself more is because since we haven't been able to get pregnant even with some dr. intervention, maybe it's just not meant to be.

But then, when you have your daughter drawing a picture of her "sister", it's hard to say, absolutely no more kids. Poor baby. When I see her playing on the playground by herself, makes me sad. She has her cousins. Ashleigh who is closest in age and spends the most time with, but ya know...they will eventually not have time to spend so much time together. Ash will be starting school, making new friends, and doing more and more activities.

Maybe I am just second guessing myself too much. I don't know. Some soul searching is in order to make sure that taking this last chance...last opportunity to have a baby is, in fact, what I want...what WE want. Because...that's just what this last attempt is. The IUI will be our final chance. I am only going to try it once. If it doesn't work. That is it for the baby chances. I am getting too old to keep it up. It is too expensive. And that will be my sign that more babies are not meant to be. Steve will go get "snipped" and we will call it. I don't want any surprises at age 45. ha

So that's the main thoughts for me lately. I just want to make sure whatever decision is the right one for us. I can question myself all day long. I do know though, that if we don't try it one more time, I will regret it when I am older. UGGGHHH! If I could just get knocked up like a normal person, my decision would be made for me. It happenes...and that's it. Another baby like it or not. ha

Any words of wisdom. Any food for thought?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well it took us 5 years to have Jake and I had given up and boom was pregnant at 39! We laugh because madison will be graduating high school when he starts kindergarten. I dont know what I would do without him, hes my little angel. Give it some time, remember babies are gods miracles so they take time. Whos knows you could finally bring a boy into that family of all girls!

Anonymous said...

You have been talking about another baby for a long time. Everyone who knows you knows it is what you want. You should just go for it and see what happens. The chances of multiple births are low. And you know that you and steve can handle anything that comes your way. Good luck and you know we all support what ever decision you make. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Go for it! Try & accept the results with a happy heart! And, this baby won't get to play with Peyton at the play ground much cause of school & age, so don't be sad when she plays alone. love, Auntie S

Andi said...

Go for the procedure and see what happens. I know you have work now, but that can all wait until the time is right to get back to it once "Kaylee" is born. Don't worry so much about handling situations when the baby is here, just get to that point first since you know that is what you want. God's will...you know?!?! It will be what it will be. Love ya!

JESSICA said...

Ally, you should really keep trying and do whatever it takes to have the baby. Age is just a number really, and if it takes some time, it's okay. There are so many first-time parents into their 40's now - times are changing. It will happen when it is meant to happen. You know that I'm an advocate for young parents, but I also think that things should happen when the time is right.
You can still be very successful with a career and be a mother - it takes time, patience, and perseverance, but you can do it! (Even if it means making a morning person out of ya!)
Now I'm going to be blantently honest with you, but only because I want things to work for you... Have you thought about quitting smoking? You can hate me for even mentioning it - it's fine. I have heard Andi tell you the same thing. You are an adult and you will do as you please, but I have read SO many times over & over again that it doesn't help to smoke when you are having trouble conceiving.
Stay positive, stop and smell the roses, and GET AWAY! You have 2 sisters and grandparents that will GLADLY watch Peyton for a weekend. I'll even watch her! You and your hubby need to get away for a weekend... ALONE! (wink, wink)
If all else fails, the procedure sounds great too! ...and if you DO have twins, it's okay! Don't stress about that now - the point is to conceive, right?
Good Luck, Ally - I'll be thinking about you!